Makes 6 donuts
Ingredients for Donut Batter:
- ⅓ cup buttermilk*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Tools: Donut Pan
(if you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to regular milk and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes prior to mixing into the dry ingredients)
Ingredients for Hibiscus Glaze:
- 3 Tadin Organic Hibiscus tea bags
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (optional: use powdered monk fruit as an alternative)
- Optional: fresh edible flowers or dried edible flowers
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Add all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk, lightly beaten egg, canola oil, lemon juice and maple syrup. Using a spatula, gently fold everything together until just combined.
- Using a pastry bag or a spoon, fill the well of the donut pan until ¾ full (do not overfill).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, turn on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once donuts have cooled, add powdered sugar to a shallow bowl and whisk to break into a fine powder. Slowly whisk in cooled Tadin Organic Hibiscus Tea, 1 tablespoon at a time. Whisk until the glaze is smooth and slightly thick.
- Dip donuts into the glaze and enjoy as is.
Note: Top with fresh edible flowers or dried edible flowers!